It all started when Winifred was working at a care.Sheused to throw out stale bread and buns，and developed such anihterest in the wild birds which accepted her offerings that shestarted taking food along to those in City Square as well. On one occasion，an old lady sitting in the square remarked that the birds could do with a more nutritious diet.SoWinifred began buying corn for them. "In the end.1 was carrying SO much weight and trampings0 far that my feet and arms really ached，”she said.“I triedusing wheeled shoppers，but with the weight of all that cornthey were breaking within weeks！So I splashed out andbought this tricycle." Winifred has come across other wild-life on her travels，too."I，stop to feed families of hedgehogs which I found at the side of the railway near the park，"she said. Despite her love of birds，she’d never want to keep onebecause she can’t bear seeing them caged. Disaster struck recently when a car reversed into her parked trike，damaging its wheels.But two local business men，hearing of her activities，decided kindly to help by repla-cing the wheels for her. So now the"Bird Woman of Leeds"is back in action a-gain，doing the j ob she loves best——caring for the host offeathered friends who have come to rely qn her.
Oral Functions Bank
1. Does Television Play a Positive or Negative Role in the Modern Society?
2. Are Pets Good for Mankind?
3. Should the Brain Drain be Stopped by Restrictions?
4. Does Criticism Do More Harm Than Good to People?
5. Is It Good for Students to Have Part-time Jobs?
6. Is Euthanasia Humane?
7. Do Examinations Do More Harm Than Good?
8. Should We Diet in Order to Keep Fit?
9. Is It a Good Idea to Control Population Growth in the World?
10. Should Students Only Learn from Books?
11. Does Parental Permissiveness Affect Children's Development?
12. Is It Necessary to Develop Tourism?
13. Work to Live or Live to Work?
14. Does the Younger Generation Know Best?
15. Should Smoking be Prohibited?
16. Is Money the Most Important Thing in Life?
17. Is Romantic Love the Most Important Condition for Marriage?
18. Should Women be Treated the Same as Men?
19. Is It Good to Live in a Large Modern City?
20. Is Housing Reform Necessary?
21. Should People be Promoted According to Ability?
22. Should Capital Punishment Be a Major Deterrent to Crime?
23. Is It Necessary to Keep the "Iron Rice Bowl"?
24. Does Fashion Contribute Anything to Society?
25. Do Advertisements Play a Positive or Negative Role in Our Society?
26. Does Divorce Represent Social Progress?
27. Is the Prospect of Growing Old a Bleak One?
28. Are Cars Doing More Harm Than Good?